Did you know about these stats regarding our current workforce?
* 80% of jobs NEVER get posted online, and are only found through networking
* 85% of jobs today are filled through networking-by someone you know or someone who referred you
*95% of recruiters use LinkedIn to find talent–yes, 95%!
IF YOU ARE BETWEEN HIGH SCHOOL AND COLLEGE AGE, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU’RE DOING AT THE MOMENT, YOUR PATH TO A JOB OR EVEN LAUNCHING YOUR OWN BUSINESS CAN BE SO MUCH EASIER.
IF YOU TAKE ACTION NOW BY BUILDING OUT YOUR PROFESSIONAL NETWORK AND CONTACTS ON LINKEDIN BEFORE YOU HIT THE WORKFORCE.
HOW AND WHY?
Imagine graduating today, and you already have at least 20 solid connections at companies in your industry.
How would that change your outlook on landing a job, finding a mentor, or starting a business?
If you build these relationships now, it could ease your job search as well as save you time, resources and money–and you can get ahead of the career struggle by years.
WHAT I’M DOING AND WHY
I am raising money to launch a LinkedIn class and private learning community for high school and college-age students.
If you care about the future of our kids, and the economy of our country, please help me with this critical initiative.
Even if you can only donate a small amount, you and your name (if you want) will be part of something big and life-changing.
WHY AM I LAUNCHING THIS PROGRAM?
We have a crisis in America regarding education, the current economic stage, and the college narrative doesn’t match the economy anymore.
All of these facts contribute to underemployment and low employment.
Also, they have a critical impact on the mental health of our society.
COLLEGE AND JOB STATS:
*More than 40% of college graduates take positions out of college that don’t require a degree
*More than 1 in 5 college grads still aren’t working a degree-demanding job a decade after leaving school
*30% of college students who go away to school come back home for good by Thanksgiving
*Only 20% of students complete a bachelor’s degree in four years
*Only 57% of students who enroll in college will graduate in six years
*The total economic burden of depression due to lack of employment is now estimated to be $210.5 billion per year.
* Some economists say nearly 40% of borrowers could default on their college loans by 2023.
*80% of jobs NEVER get posted online, and are only found through networking
*85% of jobs are filled through networking
*95% of recruiters use LinkedIn to find talent–yes, 95%!
Students are moving out of the country just to get away from their college debt. Type it in Google…it’s true.
Most students aren’t taught how to use LinkedIn or how to network, and land opportunities today. We have a crisis regarding college debt. Sending in a résumé (yes, you still need one) with no contacts or relationships doesn’t work nearly as easy as it did even five years ago. Most students are following this old way of trying to land a job in a new world.
Create a class and an ongoing learning community for juniors and seniors in high school-as well as college-age students. I will be running this program (a teacher who has tremendous expertise in education and LinkedIn). Please see my credentials below.
You don’t have to be in school to join this program.
WHAT THE PROGRAM INCLUDES:
This class and community will provide students with the following:
1. Understand how to use LinkedIn effectively (for high school and college age students), and learn how to network during a 4-6 year window (while you or your student is still in school).
2. Forever access to an ongoing and updated LinkedIn course.
3. Group coaching with me (please read my credentials below).
4. Option for private coaching.
5. Learning from peers.
6. Learn how to use the many resources LinkedIn offers for students.
7. Access to learning from a certified teacher who knows how to build curriculum, has a Master’s Degree in Curriculum and Instruction, and has already worked with young adults in this industry (opened the first graduate advising center for National Louis University). More below.
**Things they don’t teach you in school**
1. How to use LinkedIn to connect with college admissions officers
2. How to manage your finances, taxes, budgets, investments
3. How purchasing a home works, buying, selling, renting
4. Credit cards
5. Professional etiquette/manners
6. Communication skills (hand-shaking, how to talk to people)
8. Time management
9. Failure and resilience
10. Mental health
11. Critical thinking/problem-solving skills
12. Work ethic
13. Lifelong learning
14. Having a plan B or entrepreneurship
15. Leaving your comfort zone
16. Designing the life you want
2. We are also going to have guest specialists for these areas.
ABOUT ME & MY LINKEDIN HISTORY:
LinkedIn named me the #1 Top Voice in Education this past November.
There are over 600 million people on LinkedIn.
In 2012, Mr. Jeff Weiner & LinkedIn shared my career story. They also featured my work in their 200 million-member announcement.
I’ve been part of LinkedIn’s beta testing & advisory for over seven years. In 2016, they named me as “Someone to Follow” with LinkedIn’s Influencers in education.
I also opened the first graduate advising program in the history of National Louis University. I’ve been working with college-age students for years.
WHERE YOUR CONTRIBUTION WILL GO:
* Development and implementation of course materials
* Payment for a top learning platform
* Helping students get into the class who can’t afford it/scholarships
* Hiring an assistant to help with launch
Thank you for any help you can provide by contributing or passing the word on to those who can help.
Sources of data: U.S. News & Money, Lou Adler, MSNBC Money, New York Times, Workplace Mental Health, LinkedIn, CNBC, and The Muse.